Are you looking for a letting Agent in Swansea?
Under the new Housing (Wales) Act 2014 – if you wish to manage your property(ies), you will need to be licensed – However, if you do not want to go through this process, you can simply instruct a Rent Smart Wales Licensed Letting and Management Agent.
As a Letting Agent in Swansea- What we can do for you
If you decide to instruct us as your agents, then it is an easy process….
- You contact us to arrange a no obligation meeting. This meeting will be completely free of charge and there will be definitely no hard sell. It is important that we both consider that we can work together. In the unlikely event that we are unable to help you we will tell you and similarly would expect you to tell us if you felt that our firm was not for you. We seek to base our client relationships on trust, honesty and integrity. So if this is not there at the outset then there would be no future to our professional relationship anyway.
- We meet at your convenience, either at our offices or your choice of location. The idea of the meeting will be for us to listen and understand what your needs are. We will then usually suggest how we can help you.
- You will receive a copy of our Terms of Business in writing. If you are happy to proceed you simply – complete the information, sign it and return it to us
- We will send you a duplicate signed by us – there is a cooling off period of 14 days from the date you sign the Terms. However, to speed up the transfer process, you can opt to waive this right in order for us to move the business within the 14 days thus a smoother transaction. If you currently use an agent and want to change – you will need to check with your current agents, as how you may cancel their contract and then move to cancel your arrangement in writing
- We will then arrange for the handover of information from your previous agent and make our representations to your tenant (if there is one in occupation),
- We deliver you the agreed services
Let only Instruction
For landlords who are licensed to manage their own property, we are able to provide a Let Only Service – whereby we seek to find a tenant for you and then draft the initial tenancy documents for you to take the ongoing management yourself.
From the first time landlord through to the experienced landlord, from one property to a portfolio of properties we are able to assist in letting your property.
Regardless of which service – Letting in England and Wales is governed by complex Housing and Common Law, and as such can prove problematic for the unwary – from health and safety issues to the correct service of legal notices to obtain possession when required.
We will make an initial appraisal of the property, providing you with a current market rent and highlighting any areas of improvements or recommendations required to bring the property to a standard that will provide a speedy letting
Following this appraisal, we will provide you with full written Terms of Business, which includes details of Safety Regulations required before we are able to let your property
Prior to marketing we will require the EPC or Energy Performance Certificate, if you have not commissioned one we can ask our provider to arrange this (at cost).
Once we have been instructed, we will arrange to collate more information about the property for marketing. We advertise through our website and Zoopla.com FREE of charge.
All viewings are accompanied and prospective tenants can apply for the property by a paper based application form or via our on-line application form making it easier for them during weekends or when our office is not open.
To make an informed judgement, we use the serves of Rent4sure search and verify the applicant’s information and affordability.The reference process can take about a week to complete.
We shall require a valid gas safety certificate (if applicable), a condition report which is vital to provide proof of the condition of the property at commencement to enable the landlord to make any deductions from the damage deposit at the end of the tenancy.
Once we are in a position to proceed to tenancy, we shall make arrangements for the tenant and any relevant person, such as a guarantor to call to our office to complete the formalities and for them to pay the initial monies, if they have not already done so by internet transfer.
We provide the tenant with a copy of:
- The Tenancy Agreement
- Prescribed information (regarding The Tenancy Deposit)
- Gas safety Certificate (if applicable)*
- Our Tenant welcome guide
- Statement of Condition (providing the landlord has agreed for one to be complied)*
- Receipt for the initial payment
- Standing Order Mandate for future rental payments
- Certificate of Tenancy Deposit protection (Tenancy Deposit Scheme)*
- What is the Tenancy Deposit Scheme leaflet
Then depending on our instructions, we will either provide you with a copy of the above documents for you to continue the arrangements (Let Only), or place the documents on file for our continued management of the property (Let and Managed).
If we are to continue to manage the property on your behalf, details of this service are contained below
Our Property Management service combines the two areas – Letting and Management
We would initially deal with the letting side of things as we would for a tenant find (Let Only) above , but would continue to administer the tenancy and day to day matters.
For this service we charge a monthly management fee which is a percentage of the rental income
Collection of Rents
MGLS – Michael G. Lewis and Son will take reasonable steps for the collection of rents that become lawfully due. This will normally be by way of standing order, however some tenants prefer to pay by cash, Internet banking or pay direct into the bank.
Income and Expenditure Accounts
Preparation of rental income and expenditure accounts at agreed intervals – e.g. monthly or quarterly. These will show the amount of rent collected for that period, fees deducted and if applicable deductions for repairs or other expenditure made on behalf of the client
MGLS – Michael G. Lewis and Son, as the agent, can organise for suitable contractors to undertake general minor repairs that can occur from time to time. Also we use the services of qualified NICEIC electricians and GAS SAFE registered engineers to deal with electrical and gas issues. So long as we are in funds to do so, we shall pay the contractor out of these funds. If, we are in the situation, that we have no funds available, we can either direct the contractor to the client for payment or arrange with the contractor to wait until the next payment is received.
The property is normally visited at the time of the commencement of the tenancy and during the tenancy. Routine visits are made to check on the general behaviour of the tenant and general condition of the property. At the end of the tenancy, the property is checked for unfair wear and tear prior to settling any issues before the return of the deposit is made. Due to the deposit being held in a ring fenced account under the Tenancy Deposit Scheme, we need agreement from both parties before the release of any monies. Failing to reach an agreement within a specified timescale, the matter would then be referred to The Dispute Service (TDS) to try to reach a decision.
Day to Day Matters
“Day to Day Matters” is always a problem to define. MGLS – Michael G.Lewis & Son Letting Agent Swansea define them as – “Those duties an agent will reasonably need to act on for the general overseeing of a tenancy”. This would NOT include any actions outside the business of Landlord and Tenant such as, but not limited to dealing with major repair work or alterations, non-tenancy related issues such as boundary or neighbourly disputes or managing the property when vacant (void periods)
We would only be too pleased to assist you in the letting and management of your property.
* T &C’s Apply
For further information please contact us either:
In person at our office 54 Mansel Street, Swansea SA1 5TE
By telephone 01792 456871
or by completing the landlord’s enquiry form
For HMO related properties, MGLS – Michael G. Lewis & son adopt a slightly different approach due to their nature. Therefore, please contact us for more information on this type of management